Tuesday, September 18, 2012

IKEA in China

First off, my apologies for my lack of posts recently.  I assure you it is not due to a lack of interesting things to post, but instead due to a lack of time to do pretty much anything outside of work.  I have a list of posts to write on a post-it on my desk (this won't surprise most of you), and I hope to catch up over the next week or so.

For those of you in the Portland area reading this, I'll be back in Portland 9/30-10/11, so I hope to see you then!  Back to the purpose of the post...

IKEA Outside
A few weeks ago, I accompanied my college friends Scuz and Andi on a Saturday afternoon trip to IKEA in Beijing.  A shout out to them for serving as my only real home in China by giving me a guest room and even a key (that isn't a plastic card) and allowing me to do laundry at their place (see previous post).

IKEA Entrance

A note here: there were BLUE SKIES in Beijing that day!!  (those of you who have been understand how exciting this is)

Blue Skies!
Some friends questioned me going to IKEA on a Saturday, but I was also told that I had to experience it once.  Traffic in Beijing has gotten much, much worse since I was last there (two years ago), so it took them awhile to meet me there (I was a bit closer as I was coming from Ultimate practice).  I spent my time waiting standing in a REALLY long line for IKEA food and then enjoying the requisite Swedish meatballs (mmmmmm).

Once they arrived, we began wandering the store and taking pictures.  I think the pictures speak for themselves, but people in China basically treat IKEA like their own homes; they sleep in the beds, eat on the couches, and even go to IKEA for dates.  I'll let you all come to your own conclusions...


Sleeping with something on his face...
Girl Talk! (note the shoes on the ground)
Well I guess that's what they'll be doing on it...
It was also Scuz's birthday, so I took a picture of Scuz and Andi with their pets before they departed for their evening plans:

Andi and Jiaolong (left) with Scuz and Xiaoping (right)
L'Shana Tova (A Happy New Year) to all you Jews out there!  It was a pleasure celebrating the holiday in Beijing.

1 comment:

Mo said...

Yeah... that just about sums up IKEA in China. It's basically an amusement park for people :P The sofa section was always my favorite to walk by and count how many seats were occupied with sleeping people.

THE BLUE SKIES ARE CRAZY RARE OMG YOU SAW ONE. In high school we took our mandarin class photo outdoors. After developing the photos, we thought our teacher had pranked us by photoshopping in a blue sky background because we couldn't believe it was actually blue that day. Ridick. Glad you are having some blue sky days :]

Glad to see Susannah is doing well ! SUPER CUTE PETS. Now I want a cat. Maybe the hotel would let you keep a cat? :P